As the Director of Client Service, Andrew is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day decisions in Client Service and leading the firm’s team of Client Service professionals who provide organizational thought leadership for the firm’s clients. Andrew joined Sentinel Trust in 2013 and has served as a Client Relationship Officer and, most recently, as a Senior Relationship Officer, leading the delivery of investment, planning, fiduciary, administrative, and family office services for a select group of clients.
He previously practiced trust and estate law at a boutique firm that advised small businesses on general corporate matters, including taxation of the business and its owners. There, he built expertise in wealth transfer strategies utilizing complex combinations of trusts and partnerships and other planning techniques.
Andrew serves the community by volunteering as a guardian ad litem for Child Advocates of Fort Bend County and by advising Katy Independent School District on capital projects as a board member of the Community Bond Advisory Board.
- Associate Attorney, Lee & Desenberg, PLLC, Houston, TX (2012–2013) – Responsibilities included developing, drafting, and implementing comprehensive estate planning strategies, including wills, trusts, closely held business transition, and wealth transfer techniques such as family limited partnerships, irrevocable life insurance trusts, and intentionally defective grantor trusts.
- Director of Office of Corporate Integrity, Houston Housing Authority, Houston, TX (2007–2012) – Responsibilities included managing the internal compliance program and educating staff on the Code of Ethics, Fraud Policy and Conflict of Interest Policy. Previously served as Special Assistant to the CEO, Assistant Managing Director, and Policy Analyst.
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Houston Estate & Financial Forum, Member
- The Estate Forum, Member
- Katy Independent School District, Community Bond Advisory Board Member
- Child Advocates of Fort Bend, Court Appointed Guardian Ad Litem
- Baylor Business Network, Houston, Member
- Baylor Bear Foundation, Member
- Petroleum Club of Houston, Member
- “Environmental Activism in the Form of Residential Solar Panels and the Resulting Conflicts for the 21st Century,” Environmental & Energy Law & Policy Journal, Volume 3, Number 2
In this issue:
“A Hedge Fund Primer” by M. Taylor Scott, CFA
“Becoming a non-family director of a family business” by D. Fort Flowers, Jr., CFA
“Putting Legacy 401k Accounts to Good Use” by Andrew B. Smith, JD
In this issue:
“Performance Evaluation” by Catherine Lee Clarke, CFA
“To Freeze or Not to Freeze” by Andrew B. Smith, JD
“Trusting Your Blind Trust” by Andrew B. Smith, JD
In this issue:
“What’s Yours is Yours, and What’s Mine is…Yours?” by Katherine J. Slater, JD
“The Downside of UTMA Accounts” by Anne-Lise Wiegand, CPA
“Cash as an Asset Class” by M. Taylor Scott, CFA