In her role as Chief Fiduciary Officer, Leslie works to ensure consistency and best practices where Sentinel Trust is named as trustee, executor, or agent. A background in business litigation and 25 years of experience administering trusts informs her work serving clients with complex fiduciary needs.
Prior to joining Sentinel Trust, Leslie was a Market Trust Executive for Bank of America and provided fiduciary counsel for a regional bank. In the first decade of her career, she litigated complex financial transactions on behalf of clients while in private practice. She also taught as an Adjunct Professor at the University of Houston Law Center for twelve years.
Leslie is active in the fiduciary community; she has served in leadership roles with the Texas Bankers Association, Houston Estate and Financial Forum, Houston Business and Estate Planning Council, the Houston Bar Association’s Probate, Trusts and Estate Section Council and is a frequent presenter of continuing education for state and local bar associations and estate planning councils. She holds an AEP designation from the National Association of Estate Planners and Councils (NAEPC) and is a member of the NAEPC Speaker’s Bureau.
- Senior Vice President and Market Trust Executive, Bank of America, N.A., Houston, TX (1997–2006) – Responsibilities included management of personal trust and estate administrators, marketing, financial and estate planning advice, compliance, real estate, fiduciary litigation and risk management in Texas, Louisiana, and New Mexico. Also held positions of Trust Team Lead and Fiduciary Counsel.
- Assistant General Counsel, Vice President and Trust Officer, Charter National Bank, Houston, TX (1995–1997)
- Shareholder, Cunningham Burke Amann & Brooks, PC, Houston, TX (1993–1994)
- Attorney, Reynolds & Cunningham and predecessor firms, Houston, TX (1987–1993)
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), Fellow
- Houston Estate and Financial Forum, Immediate Past-President
- Houston Business and Estate Planning Council, Former President
- Texas Bankers Association Wealth Management and Trust Advisory Board, Former Chair
- Real Estate, Probate, and Trust Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Corporate Counsel Section of the State Bar of Texas, Former Member
- Probate, Trust, and Estate Law Section of the Houston Bar Association, Secretary
- Attorneys in Tax and Probate, Member
- Texas State Bar College, Member
- “The Uniform Principal and Income and Uniform Prudent Investor Acts and the Power to Adjust From the Perspective of a Professional Trustee” – Houston Estate and Financial Forum, San Antonio Estate Planning Council, Midland Estate Planning Council
- “Discretionary Distributions – Old Rules and New Perspectives” – El Paso Estate Planning Council, Texas Bankers Association Advanced Trust Seminars, Arkansas Bankers Association Annual Trust Seminar
- “Criteria for Selecting a Fiduciary – Choosing the Perfect Birdcage” – South Texas College of Law Annual Wills and Probate Institute
- Texas Bankers Association Wealth Management and Trust School and Graduate Trust School, Faculty Member
The latest edition of On Watch is now available for download. This issue features articles about blockchain technology, the role of a foundation trustee, and IRS guidance regarding miscellaneous itemized deductions. Contributors to this issue are Catherine Lee Clarke, CFA, David L. Zahn, CPA, CFP(R), and Leslie Kiefer Amann, JD. To receive email alerts about future issues…
The latest edition of On Watch is now available for download. This issue features articles about navigating recent tax reform, the impact of rising interest rates, and wealth planning as a team sport.
In this issue:
“Miscalculating Portfolio Liquidity—A Lesson Learned from 2008” by D. Fort Flowers, Jr., CFA
“How to Be a Great Trustee” by Leslie Kiefer Amann, JD
“Understanding Roles and Responsibilities in Family Businesses” by Ross W. Nager, CPA