Leslie is Of Counsel to Sentinel Trust and serves as a strategic advisor on fiduciary and legal matters. In her prior role as Chief Fiduciary Officer, Leslie spent nearly 15 years ensuring consistency and best practices where Sentinel Trust was named as trustee, executor, or agent. A background in business litigation and more than 25 years of experience administering trusts informed her work serving clients with complex fiduciary needs.
Prior to joining Sentinel Trust, Leslie was a Market Trust Executive for Bank of America and provided fiduciary counsel for a regional bank. In the first decade of her legal career, she litigated complex financial transactions on behalf of clients while in private practice. She taught as an Adjunct Professor at the University of Houston Law Center for 12 years.
Leslie spent 3 sessions (1977 – 1981) as a Legislative Aide to a State Senator and has drawn on that experience to promote trust reform legislation in Texas.
Leslie is a Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), a holder of the AEP designation from the National Association of Estate Planners and Councils (NAEPC), and a member of the NAEPC Speaker’s Bureau. Active in the fiduciary community, she has served in leadership roles with the Texas Bankers Association, Houston Estate and Financial Forum, Houston Business and Estate Planning Council, and the Houston Bar Association’s Probate, Trusts, and Estate Section Council. Leslie continues to write and present continuing education for national, state, and local bar associations, banking associations, and estate planning councils.
- Senior Vice President and Market Trust Executive, Bank of America, N.A., Houston, TX (1997–2006) – Responsibilities included management of personal trust and estate administrators, marketing, financial and estate planning advice, compliance, real estate, fiduciary litigation and risk management in Texas, Louisiana, and New Mexico. Also held positions of Trust Team Lead and Fiduciary Counsel.
- Assistant General Counsel, Vice President and Trust Officer, Charter National Bank, Houston, TX (1995–1997)
- Shareholder, Cunningham Burke Amann & Brooks, PC, Houston, TX (1993–1994)
- Attorney, Reynolds & Cunningham and predecessor firms, Houston, TX (1987–1993)
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- State Bar of Texas Real Estate, Probate and Trust Section, Member
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), Fellow
- Houston Estate and Financial Forum, Former President and Director
- Houston Business and Estate Planning Council, Former President and Director
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Houston Bar Association Probate, Trust and Estate Section, President-Elect
- Texas Banker’s Association Inter-Governmental Relations Committee, Member
- Texas Banker’s Association Education Committee, Member
- “The Uniform Principal and Income and Uniform Prudent Investor Acts and the Power to Adjust From the Perspective of a Professional Trustee” – Houston Estate and Financial Forum, San Antonio Estate Planning Council, Midland Estate Planning Council
- “Discretionary Distributions – Old Rules and New Perspectives” – El Paso Estate Planning Council, Texas Bankers Association Advanced Trust Seminars, Arkansas Bankers Association Annual Trust Seminar
- “Criteria for Selecting a Fiduciary – Choosing the Perfect Birdcage” – South Texas College of Law Annual Wills and Probate Institute
- Texas Bankers Association Wealth Management and Trust School and Graduate Trust School, Faculty Member
The latest edition of On Watch is now available for download. This issue features articles about appointing a corporate executor or agent, summer financial literacy classes and activity ideas for kids of all ages, and medical directives and other basic estate planning documents. Contributors to this issue are Phyllis L. Joe, JD, LLM, Lissa S….
The latest edition of On Watch is now available for download. This issue features articles about creating and funding Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts (GRATs), making Roth IRA conversions in the current market environment, and using intrafamily loans in the current low interest rate environment. Contributors to this issue are Leslie Kiefer Amann, JD; Richard A….
The latest edition of On Watch is now available for download. This issue features articles about blockchain technology, the role of a foundation trustee, and IRS guidance regarding miscellaneous itemized deductions. Contributors to this issue are Catherine Lee Clarke, CFA, David L. Zahn, CPA, CFP(R), and Leslie Kiefer Amann, JD. To receive email alerts about future issues…