David leads the delivery of investment, planning, fiduciary, administrative, and family office services to a select group of clients with a special interest in family foundations and family philanthropy.
Previously, David practiced as a tax accountant for seven years at regional firms that managed the tax, audit, and general accounting needs of wealthy families and their closely held businesses. He then formed his own tax advisory firm to offer strategic advice and family office services before joining Sentinel Trust.
David is also an instructor in Rice University’s financial planning program and teaches income tax strategy to students sitting for the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ exam.
- Managing Member, Smith & Zahn CPAs, PLLC, Houston, TX (2013–2014) – Managed a local public accounting firm to serve the tax and accounting needs of high-net-worth individuals and closely held businesses.
- Tax Accountant, Carolyn Allen CPA, PC, Houston, TX (2010–2013)
- Staff, Maddox, Thomson, & Associates, PC, Houston, TX (2009–2010)
- Staff, Weinstein Spira & Company, PC, Houston, TX (2007–2010)
- Houston Estate and Financial Forum, Board Member
- Houston Business and Estate Planning Counsel, Member
- Texas State Board of Public Accountancy, Member
- Rice University CFP® Certification Education Program, Instructor
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Commercial Exhibits Committeeman
- Holy Rosary Parish, Finance Council Member
- Casa de Esperanza Young Professionals, Former Member
- Young Catholic Professionals (YCP) Houston, Former Board Chairman
- Knights of Columbus, Member
HOUSTON, Dec 20, 2018 — Sentinel Trust Company, LBA, one of the nation’s leading boutique wealth management firms and multi-family offices, is pleased to announce senior officer promotions: Dennis A. Montz, MBA, CFA, CAIA is promoted to Managing Director, Director of Private Investments. Helen Qu, MBA, CFA, CPA, CAIA is promoted to Senior Vice President,…
The latest edition of On Watch is now available for download. This issue features articles about blockchain technology, the role of a foundation trustee, and IRS guidance regarding miscellaneous itemized deductions. Contributors to this issue are Catherine Lee Clarke, CFA, David L. Zahn, CPA, CFP(R), and Leslie Kiefer Amann, JD. To receive email alerts about future issues…
The latest edition of On Watch is now available for download. This issue features articles about navigating recent tax reform, the impact of rising interest rates, and wealth planning as a team sport.