David leads the delivery of investment, planning, fiduciary, administrative, and family office services to a select group of clients with a special interest in family foundations and family philanthropy.
Previously, David practiced as a tax accountant for seven years at regional firms that managed the tax, audit, and general accounting needs of wealthy families and their closely held businesses. He then formed his own tax advisory firm to offer strategic advice and family office services before joining Sentinel Trust.
David is also an instructor in Rice University’s financial planning program and teaches income tax strategy to students sitting for the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ exam.
- Managing Member, Smith & Zahn CPAs, PLLC, Houston, TX (2013–2014)
Responsibilities included managing a local public accounting firm to serve the tax and accounting needs of high-net-worth individuals and closely held businesses.
- Tax Accountant, Carolyn Allen CPA, PC, Houston, TX (2010–2013)
- Staff, Maddox, Thomson, & Associates, PC, Houston, TX (2009–2010)
- Staff, Weinstein Spira & Company, PC, Houston, TX (2007–2010)
- Houston Estate and Financial Forum, Board Member
- Houston Business and Estate Planning Counsel, Member
- Texas State Board of Public Accountancy, Member
- Rice University CFP® Certification Education Program, Instructor
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, Advisory Board and Finance Committee Member
- Houston Business and Ethics Forum, Member
- Knights of Columbus, Member
- Holocaust Museum of Houston, Audit Committee Member
- “Accounting for Fiduciary Entities,” Texas Banking Association’s Graduate Trust School, July 2020 and July 2021
- “Personal Trust Administration from A to Z,” Midland College Foundation & Midland Memorial Foundation Estate Planning Seminar, October 2021
Independent Wealth Management Firm, Sentinel Trust Company, Announces the Promotion of Three New Managing Directors
Sentinel Trust Company Announces the Promotion of New Vice President and Election of a New Shareholder
In this month’s video update, Sentinel Trust Senior Vice President, Senior Relationship Officer David L. Zahn, CPA, CFP® and Senior Investment Officer Katherine M. Rose, MBA, CFA discuss frequently asked questions regarding year-end charitable giving and the ways in which clients can optimize their year-end donations.
Senior Investment Officer Katherine M. Rose, MBA, CFA is joined by Senior Relationship Officer David L. Zahn, CPA, CFP® in discussing private family foundations in this month’s video update.
The latest edition of On Watch is now available for download. This issue features articles about creating a lasting family foundation, an overview of the advantages and challenges of Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs), and using 529 Plans to get a jump-start on education savings. Contributors to this issue are David L. Zahn, CPA, CFP®;…