At Sentinel Trust, Justin leads the delivery of investment, planning, fiduciary, administrative, and family office services for a select group of clients with a special interest in comprehensive business and estate planning strategies.
Justin joined Sentinel Trust in 2022 with over two decades of professional experience, including operating his own estate planning law practice for high and ultra-high net-worth families. He approaches wealth management holistically and advises clients on complex strategies to meet their investment, wealth transfer, income tax, business succession and philanthropic planning goals. Prior to becoming an attorney, Justin served as an active-duty infantry officer with the 101st Airborne Division. He continues to serve in the Army Reserve as a Colonel and was selected for Brigade Command at Ft. Carson, Colorado.
Justin is active with his college and law school alumni networks.
- Founder and Managing Partner, Law Office of Justin Baker, PLLC, Houston, TX (2016–2022)
Responsibilities included owning and operating an estate planning practice focused on advanced estate and estate tax planning for high and ultra-high net-wealth families, as well as focusing on business entity selection and formation, management service and buy/sell agreements, and other unique needs associated with his clients’ business ownership.
- Attorney, JVG Law, PLLC, Houston, TX (2014–2016)
Responsibilities included conducting client consultations and interviews, and developing applicable estate planning recommendation recommendations. They also included drafting ancillary documents such as deeds and entity formation.
- Owner, Anytime Fitness Franchises, Houston, TX (2013–2016)
Responsibilities included revenue generation, human resources, IT, accounting, maintenance, and client relationship management. These specific franchises were multiple award recipients for club overall performance from Anytime Fitness corporate office.
- Officer, United States Army and United States Army Reserves (2004–present)
After graduating college, Justin was commissioned as an infantry officer in the United States Army. He served in the 101st Airborne Division and deployed to Kosovo and Iraq. He continues to serve as a Colonel in the Army Reserves.
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Real Estate, Probate, and Trust Section of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Native American Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- U.S Army War College Foundation
- “Military Retirement Financial Planning: Analysis of Retirement Options and Risks to Retiree Income,” International Trust Laws & Analysis: Company Laws, Wealth Management, & Tax Planning Strategies, Kluwer Law International, Vol. 1-10, Supplement 1 (2021).
The latest edition of On Watch is now available for download. This issue features articles on entity optimization, family office services, and income tax opportunities for low-rate family members. Contributors to this issue are Justin L. Baker, MBA, JD, LLM, Katherine Rose, MBA, CFA®, and Brandon D. Harsell, CPA. To receive email alerts about future…